Skin Cancer Treatments
Once you have been diagnosed with skin cancer, it is vitally important to select a dermatologist with extensive experience in its treatment – such as Dr. T.J. Giuffrida at Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center in Miami, Florida.
Dr. Giuffrida will discuss your diagnosis with you and individualize your skin cancer treatment based on what is best for you. Dr. Giuffrida is fellowship trained in Mohs micrographic surgery, which is the best treatment for the most common types of skin cancer. This procedure is a state-of-the-art skin cancer treatment in which the physician serves as surgeon, pathologist, and reconstructive surgeon. Dr. Giuffrida is highly skilled and highly respected in all of South Florida. When choosing a Miami Mohs surgeon for skin cancer treatment, Dr. Giuffrida has all the qualities necessary to provide excellent, competent, and compassionate care.
There are several effective treatments for skin cancer and the method selected depends on many factors, which include:
- The type of cancer
- Its location and size
- The type of previous therapy
- Your current health
As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Giuffrida can discuss treatment alternatives and advise you on which method of skin cancer treatment is best for you.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery is a specialized procedure used to remove the entire skin cancer while sparing as much normal skin as possible. This method has the highest cure rate when treating skin cancer and is indicated for tumors in difficult-to-treat sites (such as the face or neck) or that have recurred following treatment. When having Mohs surgery, you want a fellowship trained Mohs surgeon such as Dr. T.J. Giuffrida. For more information on Mohs surgery, explore our website or the American College of Mohs Surgery website.
- Electrodessication and Curettage (ED & C) involves scraping and burning the tumor in combination with low levels of electricity to destroy the tumor cells. It can be used for small basal cell carcinomas and superficial squamous cell carcinomas.
- Surgical Excision involves surgically removing the tumor and a pre-determined margin of normal appearing skin, which is then sent to a pathology lab for examination.
- Topical chemotherapy involves applying a cream, such as fluorouracil, to the area of the skin cancer to locally destroy the cancerous cells.
- Immunotherapy involves applying a cream, such as imiquimod, to the area of the skin cancer to generate an immune response from your immune system that will help remove the cancerous cells.
- Photodynamic Therapy involves applying a topical chemical to the skin followed by exposure to a light source to destroy the cancerous cells.
- Radiation involves multiple treatments over weeks. This is commonly used in patients who are not surgical candidates.
Expert Skin Cancer Treatment in Miami, Florida
Patients from around the world come to Dermatology and Skin Care Center in Miami, Florida, because of Dr. T.J. Giuffrida’s reputation as one of the top skin cancer specialists in the U.S. To receive the best treatment available, contact us today at (305) 461-2000 or use our convenient online request form to schedule your visit with Dr. Giuffrida.
The reviews are in and patients from far and wide are praising the exceptional skincare service they have received from Dr. Giuffrida at Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center.
Read up on the latest developments in new technology designed to rapidly detect and effectively treat skin cancer with our exclusive blog.LEARN MORE