Skin Cancer Prevention
As a board-certified dermatologist and fellowship trained Mohs micrographic surgeon practicing in the Miami, Florida area, Dr. T.J. Giuffrida has dedicated his practice to the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer. Dr. Giuffrida has the expertise needed to advise and treat his Florida patients, many of whom have had a lot of sun exposure. Sun exposure is the most important preventable factor causing skin cancer.
Dr. Giuffrida follows and recommends the skin cancer prevention guidelines established by the American Academy of Dermatology and Skin Cancer Foundation, which include:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM when the sun’s rays are strongest.
- Do not burn.
- Wear protective clothing, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and UV blocking sunglasses, where possible.
- Generously apply a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or more to all exposed skin. “Broad-spectrum” provides protection from both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. You should reapply the sunscreen every two hours, even on a cloudy day, and after swimming or sweating.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Protect your lips with lipstick or a lip balm containing sunscreen.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand because they reflect and intensify the damaging rays of the sun, which can increase your chances of sunburn.
- Avoid tanning beds. Ultraviolet light from the sun and tanning beds can cause skin cancer and wrinkling. If you want to look tan, consider using a self-tanning product or spray, but continue to use sunscreen with it.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
Skin Cancer Doctor in Miami, Florida
Want to learn more about preventing and/or treating skin cancer? Visit with Dr. Giuffrida at Dermatology and Skin Care Center in Miami, Florida. To schedule a private consultation, call us today at (305) 461-2000 or use our convenient, online Request an Appointment form.
The reviews are in and patients from far and wide are praising the exceptional skincare service they have received from Dr. Giuffrida at Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center.
Read up on the latest developments in new technology designed to rapidly detect and effectively treat skin cancer with our exclusive blog.LEARN MORE